Friday, December 18, 2009

Chocolate Covered Cherries

If you are easily frustrated in the kitchen then read no further! In the spirit of making more homemade/handmade items this Christmas I decided to make a big batch of chocolate covered cherries (they are my dads FAVORITE), really how hard could it be. The recipe sounded easy so I thought I would give it a try, half way through the batch I was ready to give up but I didn't because I hate to waste ingredients. In the end they turned out really ugly but Little Foodie and my hubby insisted that they taste yummy, I didn't taste them they are my least favorite candy which could be the reason why I was so easily frustrated while making them; I am sure I will try to make them again next year :) I found the recipe on allrecipes.com.

* I sprayed my hands with a little nonstick cooking spray before rolling the cherries into the dough, it helped with the sticky mess that was happening to my hands before I coated them.
  • 60 maraschino cherries with stems
  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons corn syrup
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 1 pound chocolate confectioners' coating
  1. Drain cherries and set on paper towels to dry.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine butter and corn syrup until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and knead to form a dough. Chill to stiffen if necessary. Wrap each cherry in about 1 teaspoon of dough. Chill until firm.
  3. Melt confectioners' coating in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Dip each cherry in by its stem, and place on waxed paper lined sheets. Chill until completely set. Store in an airtight container in a cool place. Best after 1 or 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment