Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chicken Parmasean minus the Parmesan

While grocery shopping I purchased a few packs of boneless skinless thin cut organic chicken breast on sale, I have learned to shop for items on sale and then plan my menu instead of planning a menu for the week and spending a fortune on groceries. I had all the ingredients at home to make Chicken Parmesan except I had a block of cheese but it wasn't parmesan but being frugal I made the dish anyway and it turned out perfect!!! * The package of chicken contained 6 chicken breasts, I cooked all of them and we had three for dinner and the next night I used the 3 leftover chicken breast to make chicken parm sandwiches on homemade rolls, more food and less work!!!*

Chicken Parm minus the Parm
Thin cut boneless skinless chicken (breast or tenders)
Panko bread crumbs (these are the best!!)
Egg, water
Olive Oil
Cheese (use your favorite easy melting cheese)
Dried basil, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder
Pasta ( I used a whole wheat pasta)
Pasta Sauce ( I like the Newman's Own Tomato Basil)

Cook pasta using directions on the box. Heat a few tsp of olive oil in a skillet. Set up a breading station: in one shallow dish mix the egg and a little water, in another shallow dish mix the bread crumbs and a tsp of each: dried basil, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Dip the chicken into the egg mix first and then coat with the bread crumb mix, cook chicken in skillet until cooked through. Once chicken is cooked completely and has a nice crispy crust spread a little sauce on each piece and add a little cheese to the top, cook on low till cheese is melted. Once the pasta is cooked and drained add sauce to the pasta, top the pasta with the chicken and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment