Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese

I LOVE pickled beets, I have loved them since I was a little girl and my mom would share her special jar of pickled beets with me and my sister. One day my Little Foodie saw me eating the strange purplish veggies on my salad and she asked to taste one and every since Little Foodie and I have been fighting over the jar of beets. While shopping at the Whole Foods (my favorite store in the ENTIRE world) Little Foodie spotted a dirty little veggie with green and purple leaves and I explained that this is what a beet looks like before it ends up in a jar for us to buy. Being the smart Little Foodie that she is she decided that we could make our own beets that would taste better than the beets in the jar. When we got home we rinsed off the beets and cut them open and Little Foodie was amazed by the bright pink color inside, if you have never peeled a beet try it and you will see what we are talking about; beware you hands will also turn a lovely shade of pink. When we recently visited a local pick-your-own farm Little Foodie was ecstatic when she found out we could pick our own beets, she pulled those beets out of the ground in record breaking speed!

Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese

5-10 Beets (peeled and cut into bite size chunks)
2 T. of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 T of Red Wine Vinegar
Goat Cheese as much or a little as you like

Today I peeled the beets and then cut them into bite size chunks, then I put about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking sheets and tossed those beautiful ruby colored chunks and gave them a good shake of salt and a little pepper. I roasted the beets in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes. When they were finished I let them cool, poured the beets along with the oil into a bowl and added a few splashes of red wine vinegar and some goat cheese, mixed it all up. Little Foodie LOVED the beets and can't wait to pick more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment