- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/3 pound smoky bacon (about 6 slices), chopped
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound kale , stemmed and shredded or chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- One 15.5-ounce canned beans ( I used black beans), rinsed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for serving
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, onion and garlic, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale, cover and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the chicken stock, beans and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve in shallow bowls with the cheese on top.