Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cheesy Baked Potatoes


The portion size on this plate looks huge, well it is huge, it is my hubby's plate. For some reason I always take a pic of my hubby's plate since he usually gets the largest portion and his plate always looks the best. Little Foodie usually has a tiny Little Foodie portion and buy the time I fill my plate I am rushing to the table and the food gets tossed on the plate. Last night was a meat-free night, you could add bacon to the potatoes but don't tell Little Foodie that was an option or I will be in big trouble. Little Foodie loved the cheese sauce, the potato and the kale; she adores kale but broccoli is not her favorite. I adapted this recipe from one found on one of my favorite food blogs, eatathomecooks.com. Enjoy!

  • baking potatoes (either baked in the oven or in the microwave)
  • fresh or frozen broccoli and some kale
  • 3 Tbs. butter
  • 3 Tbs. flour
  • 1 1/2 cups warm milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • salt and pepper
  • 1tsp of garlic powder
  • a dash of Worcestershire sauce

Cut the broccoli into bite site pieces. Place the broccoli and kale in a steamer and steam until broccoli is tender but not mushy.

In a skillet, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute. Gradually whisk in the warm milk. Let it cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken a bit. Stir in the garlic powder, Worcestershire and cheese, letting it melt into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.

Split the baked potatoes open. Top with broccoli/kale and cheese sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment