Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chili in the Crockpot

I make chili differently each time I make it, I have never really used a recipe, I kind of just pour in the ingredients and let it cook up in the crockpot. Yesterday morning I started a big pot of chili that we would later enjoy with friends while watching football. I decided to finally write down what I put in the chili so I could keep a record of what was added. This is a meat-free version but you could add cooked ground beef if you like. We like to serve our chili over rice and then I set up a toppings bar with sour cream, shredded cheese, diced onions, hot sauce and some type of hot peppers. Enjoy!

1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons of dry minced onion
2 tablespoons of cumin
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
2 diced chilies in adobo sauce (comes in a small can, usually found near the taco seasonings)
32 oz of Tomato or Veggie Juice
40 oz can of Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
32 oz can of crushed tomatoes
32 oz can of diced tomatoes
small can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients into a large crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. This chili is awesome! I added some sweet potatos and vegetarian beef and it was super delicious!!

    ReplyDelete