Monday, January 4, 2010

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon!


I love a good Brussels sprouts recipe!! I made this one as a side dish for our Christmas dinner. My thought was that if people heard the word BACON they would ignore the word Brussels sprout and they would be more eager to try it out. I was right, even my sister who HATES Brussels sprouts enjoyed this dish. I adapted this recipe from one found in the Rachel Ray magazine. Enjoy!
  • 3 slices bacon, chopped ( I used organic turkey bacon)
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
  • 1 shallot or small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
  • Salt and pepper, to your taste
  • 1 cup chicken broth
Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan, 1 turn. Add shallots to the pan and saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add Brussels spouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender. Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment