Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's Not Easy Being Green!

As a family we have some pretty strong beliefs about what it means to be "green" and let me say it can sometimes be hard for other people to understand why we believe in eating organic and trying to live a more self-sustainable life. My hubby and I don't make a point of lecturing other people about buying organic but if asked we will be happy to share our thoughts. We recently had a friend asked us why we buy organic and for each point we made, he had an argument against it but in the end he understood where we were coming from. We are certainly not perfect, depending on our shopping budget there are times when I purchase food items that are not organic but I ALWAYS make sure I only buy organic dairy products and meats no mater what. Little Foodie came home last night and asked if she could PLEASE go to a school spirit night at a local fast food restaurant, she had valid points on why we should go and she even argued that of all the fast food restaurants this one seemed like the safest choice- what is a mother to do. I don't want to make my child feel like she is not allowed to participate in these types of activities but I also don't want her to think that one fast food restaurant is better than another, they all buy their meats from factory farms. That being said I want to be the type of parent that shares my beliefs with my child and also the type of parent who listens to my child and understands their point of view; so tonight we will be showing our school spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment