- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- One 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (yum!)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breast, each halved horizontally into 2 cutlets
- 12 thin slices smoked mozzarella cheese (1-pound ball)
- whole wheat rolls
Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. In a medium saucepan, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and heat through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and lots of pepper. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 7 to 8 minutes.
Drizzle the chicken with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Cook on the grill pan, turning once, for 6 minutes. Remove from the pan and layer 1 chicken piece with 2 mozzarella slices, another chicken piece and another mozzarella slice. Repeat 3 more times to make 4 double-decker chicken stacks. Tent with foil for 1 minute to soften the mozzarella cheese.
Place the chicken on the roll and top with the sauce, you can add fresh basil if you have some on hand.